We’ve all seen it. You go online and you see a post from your Grandma, letting everyone know not to open the message that got sent from her account, because she had been hacked…again. In a world where everything we do is online, it’s important to know how to protect your digital footprint. Here’s some tips and tricks on how to keep yourself safe in the digital world.
- Don’t use the names of your children, pets, sports team or dates of birth for passwords – these can often be easily found on social media profiles.
Fun fact: Did you know that Feedme Doesn’t use passwords? Instead, we use a type-2 single factor authentication method, where upon success an authorization token is generated which allows the user access to the rest of the API.
2. Don’t use the same password for multiple online accounts
Hack fact: Did you know Two Aussies hacked NASA one time? The hack was an attempt to cause mayhem before the launch of the Galileo spacecraft. Eight months after the hack, 18-year-old Nahshon Even-Chaim and 20-year-old Richard Jones, were arrested in Australia. Making their arrest easier was the fact that one of them called the New York Times to brag about their hacking exploits.
3. Choose passwords that can’t be easily guessed and change them every 60-90 days.
Fun Fact: Because Feedme doesn’t use passwords, this keeps us from needing to store the more sensitive type-1 (passwords, answers to questions, “something a user knows”) and type-3 (fingerprint, iris, “something the user is”) authorization information.
4. Be skeptical of emails and messages from people and companies you aren’t familiar with, especially if they contain spelling mistakes.
Hack Fact: There is a hacker attack every 39 seconds. The University of Maryland is one of the first to quantify the near-constant rate of hacker attacks of computers with Internet access, which happens on average – every 39 seconds.
5. Use a single comprehensive security solution that covers all your connected devices and protects against all the different types of threats.
Fun fact: Did you know that you can breathe easier knowing your information is safe with Feedme? We want our users to be able to enjoy the content they want all in one place, without the fear of their personal information getting hacked, and that’s why we use a type-2 single factor authentication. No need for you to give us access to personal information like answers to personal questions, fingerprints, or facial recognition, and we’ll never share personal information about you with any other group or company.
Download the app today